Sunday, March 8, 2009

Missing LG15


The final straw that led to me starting this blog was getting into the LG15 fandom, and wanting a place to blog about that. I suppose my timing was pretty crappy; while I got a good couple of months of the fandom with the Resistance going on (and Jonas as my cell phone wallpaper for most of that time), the season finale of the Resistance brought with it uncertainty; none of us know when (or even if?) the second season of the Resistance will come. In the meantime, The Show Is Yours has been going on, and the winner, LG15: The Last, will be premiering tomorrow. I haven't watched the pilot or the preview for The Last, and I just may give it a chance, but what can I say? I'm aching to see season two of the Resistance, and everything else - The Last, the Polish LG15 universe show N1ckola, and anything else going on in the world of EQAL right now - seems insignificant.

The hardest part of it is that I've fallen completely in love with these characters, and now, for the first time ever since lonelygirl15 started in 2006, they're in limbo. Upon every season finale in LG15's past - including the series finale of the original lonelygirl15 - there has only been a short break (maybe two weeks tops during lonelygirl15, and a month or so between LG15 and the Resistance) between seasons. Season one of the Resistance ended in December, and now it's March. Where did they leave off? Jonas and Maggie being held by the Order, expected to provide them with a supply of trait positive babies; Daniel unexpectedly returning for the first time in months; and Reed meeting Daniel for the first time, with the promise of Daniel's help in fighting the Order and retrieving Jonas and Maggie lingering ahead. And that's it. Limbo. LG15 has always been in real time, meaning that, unless they suddenly want to change that, we have to believe that the characters have been living and things have been happening since December, but we haven't seen any of it. It's like they just haven't been vlogging for months, and that is so unlike them. I know these circumstances are probably beyond EQAL's control, but I do not like this!

So, what can I do with the anxiety this brings me as a fan? Try to justify it in canon, of course. Jonas and Maggie obviously can't vlog right now, because they're being held by the Order. Sarah, being the evil Order member that she is, probably feels no need to vlog since she vlogged as a character she was playing, lying to everyone, and she no longer needs anybody to believe that she's innocent. (And what was that about an ascension, anyway? Did Sarah really become one of the elders?) Daniel came back into the world of vlogging and the Order only to provide more evidence as to Sarah's loyalties once her final betrayal had been revealed, and was only brought back into the fight by Maggie tracking him down and Reed knocking on his door, things he didn't decide on his own. Reed is the only mystery here; he's so new to the world of vlogging and enthusiastic about helping to fight the Order that one wouldn't think he'd give up vlogging so quickly. However, I think it's feasible that if Reed is working with Daniel, who likely wouldn't be so keen on the idea of vlogging right now, then Daniel probably encouraged him to stop vlogging (for now, anyway) as well.

It's entirely possible that Daniel and Reed don't have anything they really need to vlog about at this point, anyway, particularly if they're drawing up a big plan and mostly working in secret, planning more than actually taking action. But too many months have passed now for them to still be in the planning phase; lord only knows what might've happened to Jonas and Maggie by now. If Daniel and Reed haven't taken action yet, they'd better do so soon. On the other hand, they may have made many attempts to find them already, but without the added stress of filming it all and uploading it to Youtube. In either case, it may take the two of them realizing that they need the community's help to come back, asking for help with cracking a code or some such thing. But in order for that to happen, EQAL needs the money to continue funding production of the Resistance. As of right now, real life is deterring canon, and that is not cool. Not cool at all.

I'm impatient. I want Jonas and his expressive blue eyes back. Jonas, a man broken by the loss of too many of his loved ones, who needs to end this battle once and for all, one day.* Reed as he grows into a seasoned pro at fighting the Order and becomes a stronger man than ever before. Daniel, dealt blow after blow by the Order and as hurt by it all as Jonas, who'd been trying to cope with life until December, working to save Jonas once again. Reed and Daniel working together for the first time. Even Maggie, who I still don't know that well yet, but who shouldn't have to deal with this again after escaping once already, and who I don't want to see get hurt anymore. I want all of it, and I don't want them to stay in limbo forever. I don't want to sound like a stubborn child who refuses to accept reality, but EQAL, PLEASE, no matter what it takes, bring these characters back to me! I fell hard for this fandom in October and I've barely had any time with it as it goes on, because of that. I need more!

*(I'd love to see the Order not be defeated for years if it meant years of my favourite parts of the LG15 canon going on, but I wouldn't like to see it go on for too much longer if it meant that funding problems would be run into again, and the series would have to end without Jonas and Daniel seeing the Order defeated. Ultimately, I need them to have a happy ending and not be defeated or killed by the Order themselves. If that means this series can only go on for awhile longer, then so be it, but we at least need one more season. One more is enough. Anything but where it's left off right now!)

2 comments:

PJ Scott-Blankenship said...

I found you,

that means they can find you too.

I'm in the Lg15 community and have been for some time. It definitely sucks that the Resistance ended as it did. My advice? Pursue the other branches of the LG15 universe. Contribute to the numbers of the other shows, help EQAL get the numbers to present to their new backers. Every little bit helps.

Personally I recommend KateModern, it was my favorite of the shows EQAL produced. N1ckola's a little bland but we're not the market they're aiming at anyway. The Last promises to be very interesting. A show run by fans is a cool concept, plus the people working it couldn't be nicer. It's at least worth a view of the pilot, eh?

If you need anything you can find my info on lgpedia. LG15today is also a powerful tool in this community.

Julia said...

Thanks for the comment! I'll definitely be checking out The Last; any plot within the LG15 universe has a good chance of intriguing me. I'm becoming more curious about it.