Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"A Tale of Two Sisters" Becomes "The Uninvited"

Okay, so I've now seen the trailer for the American remake of A Tale of Two Sisters, a 2003 Korean horror movie, and I've seen two different ads for it on TV a bunch of times. They're calling it The Uninvited, which really only has so much to do with the story, unless they've rewritten a bunch of it. I don't know whaaaaaaat they're doing with it, also because I thought that Emily Browning was playing the younger sister, and she's practically the only one I can see in the ads, when the older sister is supposed to be the main character. That said, I COMPLETELY prefer Emily Browning - who played Violet in the Lemony Snicket movie and who I think is great - over the other actress, Arielle Kebel, who was just annoying in "The Grudge 2". I don't have much hope that she won't be annoying in this one. Emily Browning did "Ghost Ship" when she was younger, though, and it was pretty freaky, and she was really good in that. I have faith in her.

The movie itself, I'm not so sure about. Everything is being spelled out for me in the ad, and this movie is supposed to be a LOT more subtle than that. You can't fully understand "A Tale of Two Sisters" after only watching it once; you have to at least read a lot about it on the internet, and then see it one more time to pick up on all the things you missed the first time. But they always dumb down Asian movies for American audiences. I'm hearing things being said in the ad that weren't found out until the very end of the Korean movie. And the trailer is advertising a major plot point that just plain didn't exist in the original. "The Ring" was a great remake, in my opinion, that had a different story from the original but took the source material and reinterpreted it in an awesome way. I fear that the people behind "The Uninvited" weren't able to do the same; I'm afraid of what they've done to one of my favourite movies of all time. Still, I screamed a little when I first saw the ad on TV and realized what it was. There's some excitement there, because like I said, it's one of my favourite movies of all time. I've never experienced the full process of watching an Asian movie, finding out it'd be remade, seeing preview stills for the remake, and finally seeing it come to release before, so it'll be interesting for me, if nothing else.

"A Tale of Two Sisters" is a truly intense movie; there's no better word for it. I'm always left staring at my television gaping when I watch it, and even just watching the trailer for it has a similar effect on me. For the purpose of making a fair comparison, I present to you the trailers for each movie, so any of you who have not seen the original can see for yourself the difference between the two trailers, at least.

A Tale of Two Sisters:


The Uninvited:


I'll be watching "The Uninvited", and hoping that it won't turn out to be a total disaster, because the gorgeous original film doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. But I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

No comments: