Monday, December 8, 2008

A.F.I.'s "Decemberunderground" Poetry

One of the biggest reasons why I love A.F.I.'s music so much is their lyrics. When I get a new A.F.I. album, I like to just open up the liner notes and read the lyrics first, as if they were poems, before listening to any of the songs. I connect to a great deal of the words in their songs, and the untitled poem between the two songs in the final track of the album Sing the Sorrow is my favourite poem that I've ever read.

Recently I've been thinking about the lyrics to the song "Kill Caustic" from the band's most recent album, Decemberunderground. I looked up the song's lyrics online today, wanting to see exactly what was being said in a certain line, but found slightly different results on every site, so I pulled out my copy of the album and opened up the liner notes to check for myself. While doing so, I noticed that there are extra lines of text beneath the lyrics to each song (except for the last song), which I'm sure I read when I got the album but had forgotten about since. Reading those lines, I fell in love with the poetry of A.F.I. all over again, and found that some of it even sounds reminiscent of poetry I myself have written. So, for your reading pleasure, here are those extra lines, typed out by me (as close to as they're written in the liner notes as I can make out). Enjoy!

This wasn't for you. This wasn't FOR anyone. It's simply a remake of a classic. We held hands, we shared laughs, we shared beds. She told her that we were lovers Were we? But this wasn't for you really, what's the cat to do when the mouse is begging? ('02)

'areyouinorareyouout? youcan'twineitherway," he said. 'butthefallwillbefantasticandwhat'sleftisnothinglessthanperfection (date unclear)

it's freezing, but it is the desert. what to do? maybe we'll see a body. Maybe we'll see a few. I shook. did you?

Please, sit down.May I offer you something? Anything you wish..No, nothing. If you don't mind, this will be recorded...

They started far off...but they resound, as sharp as they sound. You can't mistake the sound.First the click, then the visible breath. both parting the biting cold of the night. They came. they come in time....

Is there something i should know or have i just seen too much?

We were once together, now i'm simply surrounded.

They were perfect, they were beautiful. They met in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of nothing, and kissed where everyone could see.No words. No before.No after. They kissed and it was perfect. It was beautiful. It was everything. It was nothing.

Eventually it all comes back to this. Eventually you have nothing else. Shame really. May I get YOU something? Give me anything

I saw you in the picture you took with them when you were with him and I took you from it and kept you for myself. Wait Flash Tape's still rolling.

The power went out. I turned on the radio. The power went out.I turned on the radio. The power went out.I turned on the radio.... I heard a voice

No comments: